Monday, November 18, 2013

On Passion of Religion and Photographs: Part IV



Last year, while working for the Voice of Guanacaste, I worked on photographing several services during the Holy Week (Semana Santa). One was the Passion of Christ walk. I had a second camera on me where I snapped a few pictures for my personal memories.

I find this shot haunting. This one was shot under the same light with the following image within the same roll of film. Yet this one turned out to have a completely different visual language to it. This one looks completely surreal to me. It is startling yet I am totally drawn to it. It is like the religion itself. It is blurry, seductive and inviting for explorations, yet it has to be within certain limits. You have to accept the givens while you are trying yo interpret it for yourself. You have to accept that this is a black and white photograph, that shows a small fragment of a bigger picture within the limitations of this one specific frame. Yet there is so much to see in it.




This one's aura is more prisoning than the one above. It is a technically clearer image. The effects on the side that was caused by lens captures the viewer and holds it inside a circle. With the angle, it feels like there are guardians standing upon us, staring  upon us to make sure we are still with them. I would say this one is a lot more controlling. 

There was a tragicomical occurrence toward the end of this service. Carlos Montiel, who was acting as  Jesus, had to stop his performance earlier than expected due to health issues he had started having. Under the heat of late morning being hung off of a cross caused him lose his mobility. He was hospitalized during the reenactment of the crucification.

Thanks for looking!

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Ankara , Türkiye
I am a photographer and photo editor based in Ankara, Turkey. See more of my work here: http://pinaristek.virb.com/

Followers