Monday, May 24, 2010

nebaj de guatemala









Nebaj, May 23-2010, Catholic church Sunday service. Nebaj is an indigenous town(a municipality in the of El Quiché) in Guatemala. This weekend we went to Nebaj to visit a relative of the family, I live with in Huehuetenango. I stayed at a small hotel in Nebaj. On Sunday morning I had some free time, which I used to visit Catholic church. The ceremony was a composition of Catholic church and Mayan traditions. It was visually very strong.
When I entered the church early in the morning, it was almost full. I took a seat at a rear row. Uncomfortable with the consciousness of being a stranger(maybe having a camera on me, I sat there and just watched the service for a while.
I was really nervous for several reasons, when I started to walk towards the front rows. Eventually I started to take some photos of the church attendees. I could barely eye-contact with the girl in the first photograph. Her name is Cristina. She was there with her mother. I could see her smile among the crowd one last time, while she was leaving the church.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Ankara , Türkiye
I am a photographer and photo editor based in Ankara, Turkey. See more of my work here: http://pinaristek.virb.com/

Followers