Tuesday, March 30, 2010

people I met in columbia last week...


Amparo is from Guatemala. She came to Columbia, MO, with her friend Oralia. They are the members of TRAMA Textiles. Trama is defined as "an association of 400 backstrap loomweavers in the western highlands of Guatemala". They were brought to Columbia by a professor from Columbia College, who worked with them in Guatemala. During their visit to town,on March 24, they came to Mustard Seed, a fair trade store, to see if they can sell some of their beautiful handmade textiles. That day, they actually sold some stuff, which I helped Jessica, the store manager, to choose.

During their visit to Mustard Seed, Jessica M Canfield gave Oralia and Amparo a store tour. I photographed this little tour as I voluntarily take pictures for Mustard Seed. Eventually we decided to take more photos of their Guatemalan booth in the store, later when Mustard Seed sets it. I will take those pictures with me to Guatemala this summer as a proof of their US sales to other members of TRAMA. When I am there, I will volunteer for TRAMA to visually document their efforts to run this association and will bring some images back with me for Mustard Seed. We hope to end up with a visual cultural exchange. Hopefully it will work out.

Last week on Wednesday, I was desperately driving around in search of some pictures for my advanced techniques fill and balance assignment. I kept driving on Rangeline drive. I stopped by a small shop. After asking for permission to photograph, I walked back of the shop and came across with a scrap place. It belongs to Semon Trucking and Repair, which was next door.
54-year-old John Semon's father, Henry, owns the land where the store and the scrap place is located. John said that he got on a payroll when he was 16. I really like the intense look in John's eyes.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Ankara , Türkiye
I am a photographer and photo editor based in Ankara, Turkey. See more of my work here: http://pinaristek.virb.com/

Followers