Wednesday, February 24, 2010

EPJ Photographer's Portfolio Web Site Critique


http://www.martinparr.com/index1.html

Among all the photographer web sites I looked up, Martin Parr has the most unique web site. His photographic style overlaps with the design of his web site. The background image of the web site, the frame in the middle, where everything happens, and the bg image in that frame is consistent with his picture making style. I like how he has diffused "Martin Parr Style" on everything he produces, including his web site in this case.

Including the background, this whole website is designed in flash. I am not sure how it would be affected by different computers and browsers.

I think it is efficient that all the pages appear in one single frame. This way, you don't really travel between browser windows. Links to his blog and Magnum Photos are the only ones that take us to external windows. Other than everything is linked to each other. There is no death end in terms of navigation. It is pretty easy to move around on this web site.

Going back to visual consistency, the site uses different background for each link within the frame. I feel like there could be a little more unity in the visual language by making very little changes in the visual design.

Unlike many other portfolio site, Martin Parr has a FAQ link. I found this very interesting. But I guess this is something that comes with the fame of the photographer.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Ankara , Türkiye
I am a photographer and photo editor based in Ankara, Turkey. See more of my work here: http://pinaristek.virb.com/

Followers